These heavenly muffins are more like little dessert cakes that you could totally eat for breakfast. The sweetness of the banana and dates mixed with coconut sugar and the Drizzle Cacao Luxe Raw Honey combined so well to become caramel goodness.
I threw together this recipe without having a clue on how I was going make these. I just knew I wanted them to be decadent yet still be healthier. There is no refined sugar in these babies. Of course, they still have natural sugar and sugar is sugar, but eaten in moderation (admittedly, that's hard) I don’t think any guilt should be harboured here!
Almond flour makes these a little healthier because it's low in carbs, packed with nutrients and has a slightly sweeter taste. Oats have always been a favourite of mine in muffins. They are a superfood! So they are nutritious and filling and are actually naturally gluten-free.
These gooey salted caramel muffins are also full of fibre because they contain oats, chia seeds and almond flour. This recipe is gluten free, soy free, refined sugar-free and egg free.
You don’t necessarily have to add in the 3rd banana or you could leave out either the soaked chia seeds or flax egg but I liked that they were, dare I say it…moist! I think the extra moisture helped the dates get extra gooey and caramelly! Just make them, thank me later!
Egg-free Gluten-free Gooey Salted Caramel Muffins
Recipe by: Sarah Ramsay, Sarah's Little Loves
- 2 Cup Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Oat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Large Flake Oats
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Flax Egg = 1 Tbl Flax and 3 Tbl Water
- 2 Tblsp Chia Seeds (Soaked)
- 3 Tblsp Coconut oil, melted
- 8 Dates, chopped small
- 2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
- 2 Tblsp Drizzle Cacao Luxe Raw Honey
- Soak chia seeds in water till a jelly-like consistency
- Combine 1 tablespoon of flax and 3 tablespoons of water to create your flax egg
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Place muffin liners into a muffin tray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mash the bananas and add the wet ingredients into the mashed bananas. Mix until well combined
- In a large bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Next, add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined, don't over mix.
- Fill each muffin cup, top with more chopped dates and a drizzle of the cacao raw honey. Then place in oven. It depends on your oven. I checked my muffins every 15 minutes. I think anywhere from 30-40 minutes is long enough.